Learning Commons Tutor
1001 Bethel Cir, Mishawaka, IN 46545, USA
Department: Learning Commons
Supervisor: Rachel Kennedy
To provide tutoring services to the Bethel College student body to help facilitate independent student learning and enhance students’ study skills.
The Learning Commons is in need of tutors throughout the year. This posting is not for a specific opening. Applications will be reviewed when there is a need to hire a tutor in a specific area.
Essential Job Functions:
- To commit to scheduled hours within the Learning Commons by being prompt and faithful in covering shifts. In an emergency, to find an appropriate substitute to cover the shift while informing the assistant manager or LC Manager of any schedule changes.
- To address any challenges or issues that arise with the assistant manager or LC Manager.
- To listen and respect each student’s privacy, creative process, and perspective.
- To offer constructive guidance as appropriate.
- To participate in monthly scheduled tutor training sessions.
- To promote the services of the Learning Commons as appropriate: i.e. chapel announcements, class presentations, workshop development, etc.
- Assist students with general Learning Commons’ needs: i.e. printer jams, making copies, restocking printing paper, wireless printing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least a second semester freshman with a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must have an “A” in classes you tutor (For writing tutors: must have completed Written Communications III)
- To tutor in a foreign language, the applicant may not be a native speaker of it, but must have learned it “the hard way”, as well as be eligible to tutor in another subject besides the foreign language (such as writing or math)
- Must demonstrate excellent written skills or competency in desired subject area
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint programs
- Must have a written recommendation from a faculty member
- Must be responsible and have the ability to work independently
- Must consider working as a tutor a ministry to be conducted with passion, strength and intelligence.
How to Apply
Please apply here.